W. F. (Bill) Thomas
                                Mississippi HAVARD Historian
Scan 10054 - William M. Thomas Jr,
Anna R. Evans Thomas - W. M.
Thomas,                     Frances R.
Thomas Martin

Otis Havard

Fonde Havard & Hazel Thomas Havard

Scan 10058 - Frances Thomas Martin
& W. M. Thomas Jr back from Korea

Scan 10036 - Hulda Frances "Fanny"
Havard Thomas, dau of David & Sarah

Scan 10035 - W. M. Thomas Jr  HMC
at sea 1960/61

Scan 10065 - L to Right: Wert, Claude
"Buster", Peter "Pete" Havard,
Edmund, Minnie Byrd Havard, Vaudie,
Brownie, Rosie Mae.

Scan 10064 - David Havard, son of
John Havard (My great grandfather)

Scan 10071 - Allon Lee Roberts
Havard & Elver Havard  cir 1910
(Wedding Pic?)

Scan 10070 - Charles Edward
Brannan & Caroline Havard - dau. of
David, 2nd wi.

W. F. Thomas - William Franklin
"Frank" Thomas - Pic taken 1923
husband of Hulda Frances Havard
That first scan of 10054 was Xmas of
1944, just out of Great Lakes Navy
Boot Camp.  That was about 1000
years ago. Ha.  A warm Xmas in the
Deep South that year.  When I got
back to IL I would soon be moving out
for US Naval Hospital, Seattle, WN, Of
course, stopping off at Farragut, Idaho
to complete Hospital Corps School for
three months.  I was all agog at
MOUNTAINS. Ha.  Not to mention
snow.  Oh well, all part of my
education.  In those days we still
traveled by train so there was time to
see the country and the wild life, such
as pheasants in North Dakota and
Antelopes in Montana.  Little southern
farm boys didn't get away from the
swamps and rolling hills in those days.  
I had just been through all 10 years of
the 1930s depression.
One branch of the Havard family made a little history.  Peter, son of David,
married Viola Myers.  Unfortunately she died of Neurofibromatosis after all the
children were born.  No one knew it was a fatal disease passed via chromosomes.

After Otis and his 3 children died of it and Elver and 2 of his children died of it,
and Margaret's children, when her oldest daughter got it, decided to learn more
of the disease.  They got a hospital in Mobile interested and I think Harvard got
involved and they researched every descendant of Viola Myers.  On the strength
of that research the diagnosis was changed to Neurofibromatosis Type A as it is
always fatal.  In this form tumors start to grow on the auditory nerve and the
person goes deaf.  Of course, the tumors grow on the spinal column as well so
the person needs a wheel chair to get around.  Margaret's oldest son became
her ears.  Her son was not able walk from birth so he got around in a wheel chair.

When Margaret's daughter started showing symptoms and a diagnosis was made
her husband immediately dumped her and went to Texas where he remarried and
started a new family, leaving his wife to raise 3 children.  I never met her but she
and I corresponded via email and I was fond of her.  She loved her grandchildren
and always had goodies for them when they visited her.  I enjoyed hearing about
their activities.  I think one of her sons got married and the last I heard it was
showing signs, but the other boys refused to marry.

I'm sure at some time you have seen the Type B form of this disease if you have
seen people with the little tumors over their entire bodies.  A man aboard one
ship I was on had it and we had a long chat about it.  He was well aware that
people never wanted to touch him.  The only time a doctor will remove one of the
tumors is when it is in the palm of the hand or the bottom of the foot and starts to
give the patient a lot of trouble.  The reason being that sometimes the surgery
causes the tumor to go cancerous.

I used to have a chart of the whole family as to who would get the disease and
who wouldn't and the few that might.  So now you know one of the family secrets.  
I no longer have the chart.

Take care;

This is the last of the pictures.

Scan 1046 - W. M. Thomas Jr.  My
favorite pet (abt 1928)

Scan 10384 - Lee Thomas, my father's

Scan 10339 - "Babe" Havard b.cir
1845.  William M. Havard, the son of
Sarah Howell and family tradition says
his father was a member of the Bailey
family.  David gave him the name of
Babe Havard and he was their oldest

Scan 10338 - Mary Edna Havard

Mail0025 - Henry Havard b.1852

Mail0023 - Aldora Havard Weekley

Mail0022 - Billie Harold Ethredge
b.12-17-1928 & Elizabeth Marie
Havard 6-20-1933

Mail0021 - Elver Havard

Scan 10055 - Sallie Thomas Byrd, W.
M. Thomas, Ida Thomas Clayton -
Brother and sisters.

As for biographies, I only know my
own. Later.

I joined the Navy in 1944.  In 1946 I was aboard a small ship that helped lay the moorings
for the ships being used for the underwater atomic bomb test at Bikini.  I was on the last
ship leaving the area before the test.

I served with the 7th Marines in Korea, later I was in Vietnam with a Navy Surgical Team
at a Provencial Hospital in Rach Gia, Kien Giang Province for a year as an advisor to the
Lab and X-Ray.  After over 40 years I still keep in touch with service personnel I met there
- Army, USAF, and Navy personnel.  They were the best.  From Vietnam it was on to U.S.
Naval Hospital, Yokosuka, Japan for my last 2 years in the Navy, retiring in 1969.  Of
course, I had 3 more ships to be stationed on in the meantime. Ha.  I endured some
rough times in the Pacific.  I have seen it for days as smooth and glassy as a fresh water
lake and I have endured 48 degree rolls as well.  At least we traveled to Japan, Hong
Kong, the Philippines, and various ports on the U.S. west coast.  In between there were
shore duty stations in Norman, OK, Raleigh, NC, NYC, and my favorite tour of shore duty
was on Adak, Alaska.  It was 600 miles off the coast of Alaska in the middle of the
Aleutian chain.  There was much hiking and fishing.  I loved it.  Once the Hospital
Corpsman on a fleet tug got sick and I replaced him for a trip out to Attu, the last island in
the chain.  The trip out was rough, but the trip home was outstanding.  I especially
enjoyed seeing new wild life both on land and on the sea.  It has been a very interesting

My first job after retirement was in the Lab at Hotel Dieu Hospital in New Orleans.  All that
experience I got in Vietnam sure came in handy both at Yokosuka where a lot of wounded
Marines came from Vietnam, along with their parasites and NO.  I referred to my lab as
Pee & Pooh because it was Urinalysis and Parasitology.  The people in that Lab did more
for my recovery to "normal" than any doctor could have done.  I still keep in touch with the
living.  Time marches on.

That is about it for me.  I hope all is going well out your way.  Take care,